Saturday 5 March 2016

Out and About with R


As D is spending today on a  narrow gauge binge I decide to remain in Kangara and do something cultural. I'll say anything not to have to sit on a hard seat for 6 hours. 5.00 a.m. is early and after D leaves I try to get back to sleep but feel a bit cold so snuggle deeper into the bedding. Awaking later from my fitful slumber I discover that in the dark I had switched on the fan.  Breakfast is required so a foray to the dining room ensues where I am surrounded by waiting staff and coerced into having food from the  buffet when all I want is scrambled egg.  No matter, the town awaits. I am not an intrepid type so was channelling my hero Emma (Fing Fang) on the way down the very congested road to the  bazaar and Braejeshawri Devi temple.

The temple is one of the  51 shakti peeths marking sites where Sita's body fell to earth. Here is the place where her left breast landed. It's quite early so the shops and stalls are in the process of opening. This means any pedestrian has to be mindful of bottles of water being scattered around to lay the dust. I find the arcade of holy merchandise which leads to the temple and have a slow walk up looking at the mountains of oil lamps, jewellery, minature drums etc that seem to be required as offerings. The temple eludes me. I follow a well dressed lady down a noisome alley thinking she knows, wrong! A kind shopkeeper takes pity on me and points to an entrance a few feet away which I have failed to see.

 Shoes off, inside all is peaceful. A short queue of pilgrims has formed in front of the main shrine so I tag on the end and look around at the lion statues guarding the entrance.  We shuffle forward to the priest inside taking the  offerings and blessing the prostrate bodies in front. An impatient man behind me keeps bellowing his prayers and adding 'chalo' (let's go! ) to encourage the devout in front. The sanctuary was covered in intricately worked silver panels and the devotional object  (I have no other description) was lavishly covered in silver and red and gold cloth. Outside the courtyard thronged and I walked round the shrine and subsidiary shrines in the warm sun.

Taking a seat in the shade a couple of young girls chat to me. The girls are very keen to find out if I am alone and seemed relieved when I tell them about D. They are taking a break from lectures, accounting next, dull we agree. I walk back to the hotel in dense traffic and sultry heat. I'm loooking forward to the cool of the  hotel, happy to spend the rest of the day drawing and reading. I find however, that there is no electricity in our room. Down stairs at Reception I am treated to a despairing look as a porter is despatched to put the plastic gadget into the device on the wall that controls the power. Oh well, can't be good at everything. 



1 comment: